This page is provided to conference organizers, media professionals, podcasters, or other parties interested in booking Joel. You are pre-approved to copy/paste anything here.
If you have additional questions or needs, please email Joel’s executive assistant Airich Macalintal [email protected].
Short bio (from Joel’s LinkedIn profile)
I’m on a mission to help every owner-driven studio and production company thrive.
For 20 years, I helmed the industry-leading Impossible Pictures. Today I advise the next generation so they can also become industry leaders.
My areas of expertise: The 7 Ingredients of a Creative Firm.
To date I’ve consulted well over 200 creative firms based in 26 countries around the world spanning spanning the US, Australia, UK, Canada, Europe, Asia, and South America. Among my most eminent clients are such names as:
– Cause + Effect
– Giant Ant
– Mighty Nice
– STATE Design
Other interests, involvements, and accolades:
• Main Stage Speaker: Digital Design Days (Geneva Switzerland, Milan Italy), Bend Design (Bend, USA), Promax (NYC & LA USA), The Futur (LA USA), Computer Graphics & Arts (Belgrade Serbia)
• Judge: Primetime Emmy Awards, Promax Awards, Motion Awards
• Author: Fast Company, Forbes, SHOOT, Motionographer
• revCommunity Leader: The private community of 300+ studio owners
• Host of QOHORT: Gatherings of elite creative entrepreneurs in NYC, LA, London, Denver, San Francisco, Melbourne
• Podcaster: The RevThinking Podcast
• Advisor: SCAD, University of Colorado, The Art Institutes
• Consultant: Moldova Competitiveness Project with USAID and Sweden
• Accolades: Multiple Emmy, Addy, Art Directors, Promax Awards
Sample questions for Joel
- What makes the creative entrepreneur different from other types of entrepreneurs?
- What do owners of next-level creative firms know (that younger, up-and-coming firms don’t)?
- How do creative firms evolve over time in what are known as The Seasons of a Creative Firm?
- Why is narrowly positioning a creative firm so critical to its success?
- Why do most creative firms get stuck offering services instead of selling expertise and value?
- What does a RevThinker do?
Joel’s Interesting Facts
- Joel’s first epic feature film, Cosmic Battles, grossed $13. He was just twelve years old.
- By the age of 16, Joel had launched more than 20 different entrepreneurial ventures.
- In a former life, Joel was a practicing industrial designer.
- For 20 years Joel helmed Impossible Pictures as one of the most successful production companies to ever thrive between the coasts.
- Joel has won numerous Emmy, Addy, Art Directors, and Promax awards.
Joel’s Recent Thought Leadership
- Standing Out In the Sea of Sameness – CGA conference, Belgrade Serbia
The Real Reason Big Opportunities Are Not Finding You… and What to Do About It
- Our Crisis of Unhelpfulness – Bend Design conference, Bend Oregon USA
Design is supposed to make things easier. Why are designers making it harder?
- Overcoming Ephemeralization – Digital Design Days, Milan Italy
Why today’s valuable service will be a commodity tomorrow… and what to do about it.
- The Genius Gap – Bend Design conference, Bend Oregon USA
Why do some creatives get stuck… while others go on to greatness?
- The Three R’s™ – Digital Design Days, Geneva Switzerland
What really drives the client/agency business relationship.
- The 7 Ingredients of a Creative Firm™
Why Creative is just one Ingredient – out of 7 – required to run a successful creative firm.
- Preparing to Launch – NY School, New York USA
Do you have what it takes to launch a creative business of your own?
- It’s Not WHAT You Pitch It’s HOW – Fishbowl Live
Why the creative you pitch in your presentation only wins half the battle.
- Everyone Has a Sales Problem – Clubhouse Live
Why weak sales in a creative firm is actually a symptom of four deeper problems.